Researcher working on applied data science for social good.
- Ph.D. Engineering and Public Policy, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh PA
- Ph.D. Institute for Systems and Robotics, Instituto Superior Tecnico, Lisbon, Portugal
- M.S. Engineering and Public Policy, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh PA
- M.S. Information Networking, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh PA
- B.S. (with University Honor) Computer & Software Engineering, Beihang University, Beijing, China
- Python, R, SQL, Java, Stata
- Cloud devops in AWS and Azure
- 2017-now: Research Scientist, Nova School of Business and Economics, Lisbon, Portugal
- Working with José de Mello Saúde, the largest private healthcare provider in Portugal
- Built hybrid recommender system with implicit feedback data from patient consultation history
- Deploying model in production environment and designing randomized experiment to estimate the effect of recommendation on patient choices
- 2017-now: Technical Mentor, Data Science for Social Good Europe
- Supervised 15 data science fellows to work on 5 real-world projects with social impact provided by government and public organizations from Italy, Netherland and Portugal on healthcare, digital tourism, unemployment prediction
- Gave regular training sessions on data science and social science topics, such as programming, data analytics, causal inference
- Managed program-wise computing resources and DevOps environment in Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure, using Opsworks, RDS, EC2, S3, CloudWatch
- 2011-2017: Ph.D. Student, Carnegie Mellon University
- Designed and performed randomized controlled experiment in a physical bookstore to estimate the effects of search costs on consumer search and purchase behavior
- Implemented vision-understanding techniques to capture shopping behavior automatically using 3D camera
- Studied role of peer influence in subscriber churn and smartphone adoption using a large-scale mobile phone dataset
- Qiwei Han, Mengxin Ji, Inigo Martinez de Rituerto de Troya, Manas Gaur, Leid Zejnilovic, A Hybrid Recommender System for Patient-Doctor Matchmaking in Primary Care, The Fifth IEEE International Conference on Data Science and Advanced Analytics (DSAA), Turin Italy, October 2018.
- Qiwei Han, Daegon Cho, Characterizing the Technological Evolution of Smartphones: Insights from Performance Benchmarks, 18th International Conference on Electronic Commerce (ICEC), Suwon, Korea, August 2016.
- Qiwei Han, Social Influence Analysis using Mobile Phone Dataset, 17th IEEE International Conference on Mobile Data Management (MDM), Porto, Portugal, June 2016.
- Qiwei Han, Pedro Ferreira, Jõao Paulo Costeira, Asymmetric Peer Influence in Smartphone Adoption in A Large Mobile Network, 14th International Conference on Mobile Business (ICMB) (co-located with ICIS), Fort Worth TX, December 2015.
- Qiwei Han, Pedro Ferreira, Role of Peer Influence in Churn in Wireless Networks, 7th International Conference on Social Computing (SocialCom), Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, August 2014. (Acceptance rate: 16.7%, Best Paper Award)
- Qiwei Han, Inigo Martinez de Rituerto de Troya, Mengxin Ji, Manas Gaur, Leid Zejnilovic, A Collaborative Filtering Recommender System in Primary Care: Towards a Trusting Patient-Doctor Relationship, The Sixth IEEE International Conference on Healthcare Informatics (ICHI), New York NY, June 2018.
- Qiwei Han, Leid Zejnilovic, Pedro Pita Barros, Patient-doctor dyads and patients’ switching patterns: towards trusting relationship in primary care, 14th Symposium on Statistical Challenges in Electronic Commerce Research (SCECR), Netherland, June 2018.
- Qiwei Han, Leid Zejnilovic, Recommender Systems in Physical Retailing: Practices, Prospects and Policy Perspectives, The 3rd International Conference on Data for Policy, London UK, September 2017.
- Leid Zejnilovic, Qiwei Han, The challenges and benefits of automated mediation system: case study of healthcare management, The 3rd International Conference on Data for Policy, London UK, September 2017.
- Qiwei Han, Pedro Ferreira, Jõao Paulo Costeira, The Effect of Product Placement on Shopping Behavior at the Point of Purchase: Evidence from Randomized Experiment using Video Tracking in a Physical Bookstore, The Conference on Digital Experimentation (CODE), MIT Sloan School of Management, Cambridge MA, October 2016.
- Qiwei Han, Pedro Ferreira, Jõao Paulo Costeira, Asymmetric Role of Social Influence in Smartphone Adoption in A Large Mobile Network, 4th Conference on the Analysis of Mobile Phone Datasets (NetMob), MIT Media Lab, Cambridge MA, April 2015.
- Qiwei Han, Pedro Ferreira, Determinants of Subscriber Churn in Wireless Network, Role of Peer Influence, 3rd Conference on the Analysis of Mobile Phone Datasets (NetMob), MIT Media Lab, Cambridge MA, May 2013.
- Sacoor Brothers, high-end Portuguese clothing company
- 2017: Accenture Tech Labs
- 2016: Huawei Technologies
Awards and supporting information
- AWS Cloud Credits for Research (DSSG-Europe Program), 2017-2018
- Microsoft Azure for Research Award (DSSG-Europe Program), 2017
- NSF Graduate Student Travel Grant, 2016
- CMU Provost’s Office Graduate Student Travel Grant, 2015
- CMU - Portugal Program Ph.D. Fellowship, 2010-2015
- Best Paper Award of 7th International Conference on Social Computing, 2014
- CMU Full Tuition Scholarship for Master’s Degree, 2007-2009
- Excellent University Graduate Award of Beihang University, 2007
- International Conference on Information Systems (2017)
- Academy of Management Annual Meeting (2015-2017)
- International Conference on Electronic Commerce (2016)
- Electronic Commerce Research and Applications