I am Assistant Professor of Data Science and Business Analytics at Nova School of Business and Economicss. Before that, I received Ph.D. in Engineering and Public Policy and M.S. in Information Networking from Carnegie Mellon University.
My research is at the intersection of econometrics and machine learning, using complex data-driven approaches in areas including
- Applied data science in social good, such as healthcare, education, tourism
- Consumer behavior in both online and offline channel
- ICT management and policy
Hiring: I am looking for two Research Data Scientists to work on MD2Trust project using graph neural networks to study medical referral process. Apply here by the end of March.
- 2022-10 Served as the session chair of "Medical Applicaitons" at the IEEE Data Science and Advanced Analytics 2022 (DSAA) conference.
- 2022-08 The paper "Understanding Heterogeneity of Investor Sentiment on Social Media: A Structural Topic Modeling Approach" with Rongjiao Ji is accepted at Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence.
- 2022-06 The paper "Camera Eats First: Exploring Food Aesthetics Portrayed on Social Media using Deep Learning" with Alessandro Gambetti is accepted at International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management.
- 2022-04 The paper "Predictive counterfactual using machine learning: the case of Airbnb and the COVID-19 pandemic" with Bernardo Forbes Costa and Carlos Santos is accepted at Eighteenth Symposium on Statistical Challenges in Electronic Commerce Research and the paper "How Food Images Posted by Restaurant Owners and Customers Differ on Social Media?: A Food Aesthetics Perspective" with Alessandro Gambetti is accepted at 8th International Conference on Computational Social Science.
- 2022-03 Initiated the project "MD2Trust: Trustworthy data science for improving healthcare efficiency: the case of the medical referral process" funded by Carnegie Mellon Portugal Explorative Research Project program, with Cláudia Soares (Nova School of Science and Technology), Yuejie Chi (CMU-ECE) and Haiyi Zhu (CMU-HCI).
- 2022-02 Concluded 23 master theses with talented students in collaboration with companies such as Celonis, Jerónimo Martins, KPMG Lighthouse Center of Excellence for Data Analytics, Samsung Portugal, among others. Congrats to all!
- 2022-01 Received generous support from Social Science Research Council to host the second edition of Summer Institute of Computational Social Science Lisbon (SICSS-Lisbon) with Filipa Reis (Católica Lisbon School of Business and Economics) in June 2022.
- 2021-12 Served as the session chair and published the paper "Online Advertising Revenue Forecasting: An Interpretable Deep Learning Approach" at the IEEE Big Data 2021 conference.
- 2021-11 Led a team of three master students (Lukas Berndt, Jacob Lind and Simon Link) and won the FIRST PLACE at Celonis Global Sustainability Ideathon and received $3,500 cash prize.
- 2021-10 Published the Nova SBE Data Science Knowledge Center report "Impact of Covid-19 on Tourism and Hospitality in Portugal: Evidence From Airbnb" and received 20+ Portuguese press coverage, such as Agência Lusa, Correio da Manhã, Dinheiro Vivo, ECO, Expresso, Forbes, Jornal Económico, Jornal de Negócios, Jornal de Notícias, Jornal Mundo Português, Notícias ao Minuto, Observador, RTP, Publituris, and more.